HISTORY OF COMPUTER
The First man-made computing device.
It can perform addition and subtraction
invented in China
Pascal’s calculating machine/Pascaline
- The first mechanical calculator - Invented by Blaise Pascal
- Can perform addition & subtraction
First general-purpose calculating machine -
Extended version of Pascal Calculating machine
Can perform multiplication and Division
Invented by Gottfried Leibnitz
Automatic weaving loom/1805
Invented by Joseph-Marie Jacquard -
This device use punched cards to control weaving patterns
The program contains programs for looms task
Babbages Difference & Analytical Engine/1822 & 1835-1869
Difference engine, can compute tables -
Analytical engine, first general purpose computer, which is completely automatic and capable of calculating any mathematical problems -
Invented by Charles Babbage
Punched card tabulators
- The first use of punched cards to store data - Developed by Herman Hollerith
First general-purpose electromechanical computer at Harvard University -
Developed by Howard Aiken, and known as MARK1 Digital computer -
Can perform four basic arithmetic operation and stored the information in tabular form. ABC/1942
The first special-purpose digital computer that solves simultaneous equation -
Develop by John Atanasoff
- Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator. - The first fully electronic general-purpose digital computer. - Completed by John Eckert and John Mauchly.
Binary Automatic Computer)
The first electronics stored program computer in the United States -
Universal Automatic Computer
The first electronic computer to be commercially available and first to store data on a magnetic tape. -
Was built Mauchly and Eckert
- Formula Translating System
- The first computer programming language
- Invented by John Backus and his team at IBM.
Common Business Oriented Language
A computer language intended for business users
Invented by Grace Murray Hooper
Beginners All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code -
A computer language for beginners and used by owners of personal computers. -
Develop by John Kemeny and Thomas Kurts
Keyboards were used to provide data for computer.
- ”bubble memory, devices were created for computers. - Such devices were designed to continue to “remember” even when the computer is turned off.
The floppy disk was introduced for computer data storage. 1971
Pascal, a popular language used on home computers.
Developed by Niklaus Wirth
The IBM Personal Computer, introduced Disk Operating System. 1985/WOS
The Windows Operating System was introduced to become the most dominant graphical user interface (GUI) based operating system for personal computers. 1990
- Tim Berners-Lee proposed the hypertext system. - The start of the present Internet.
- Archie, from the word “archive,’ became the first search engine.
Yahoo, the search engine was created by David Filo and Jerry Yang. -
Yahoo is an acronym for “Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle”. 1995
The first Wiki was created. A Wiki is an open and editable database such as Wikipedia. 1996
Google, the search engine, was developed by Sergey Brin and Larry Page. -
Google would become the most dominant search engine on the internet.
Classification of Computer
• also known as personal computer (PC)
• vary in size from small portable, such as palmtop (handheld) computers,
notebook, and laptop computers that you can easily carry around.
• also known as mid-size or mid-range computer
• similar to but small and less powerful than a...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document